What are the best foods for the brain? What should I do to keep it active? This organ is the control center of our body and therefore it is important to learn to take care of it.
We care to know which foods are the most and least healthy for each of us, how to get softer skin and protect it from the sun and how to feel good inside and that it shows on the outside.
But how many people wonder what are the best foods for the brain, what can you do to make it work better, learn to rest or increase your memory? In this article we will help you to know which are the best foods for the brain and how they help to improve their functioning.
Feed your brain
The brain is the largest organ of the central system and functions as the main control center of our body. With age, like the rest of the organs, it degenerates and decreases in abilities.
In this case the loss of neurons occurs. Therefore it is important to know that foods for the brain can contribute to the better formation of this and to improve some of its functions and keep it active.
What does our brain need to have a good functioning?
Our brain needs continuous care, therefore it is important to provide the necessary amounts of the following nutrients so that it develops in the best possible way:
- Carbohydrates (glucose): Known as the main fuel of the brain (glucodependent organ). Its deficit can imply a feeling of fatigue, irritability, digestive problems … It is important that the source of hydrates comes from whole grains, vegetables or fruit. Since these slowly and gradually release their nutrients.
- Proteins (amino acids): With them the neurotransmitters responsible for bringing and carrying information between neurons are formed and therefore improve the internal communication capacity of the brain. Its deficit implies apathy, lack of motivation, difficulty concentrating, inability to relax .
- Fats (fatty acids): Protect and help good electrical conductivity between neurons. Its deficit can lead to depression, lack of attention, fatigue, dyslexia … Its consumption is very important for a good fetal development. Essential omega-3 and 6 fatty acids that can be found in seeds (flax and chia) and blue fish.
- Fats (phospholipids): reinforce the mind, improve intellectual performance, optimize learning, protect against memory decline and Alzheimer’s. We can find them in lecithin, egg yolk and casserole.
- Vitamins and minerals: They help build the brain and SN. Thanks to them, glucose is converted into energy, amino acids become neurotransmitters and cellular protective fatty acids.
The best foods for the brain
In spite of the fact that in a large part of the food there are important nutrients for the development of the brain, it should be taken into account that this organ has a preference for fatty acids such as omega3, fiber and antioxidants.
Among the best foods for the brain for its properties we highlight:
- Broccoli: contains vitamin K that allows blood to clot and has been proven effective in treatments against Alzheimer’s. It has the property of enhancing memory and preserving good brain health.
- Nuts: contain omega-3, vitamin E and Mg, among others. According to studies, they are able to curb the decline in cognitive abilities as they age and maintain good cardiovascular health.
- Cranberries: Good source of antioxidants, vitamin C and potassium. According to studies, they protect the brain from oxidative stress and delay or prevent degenerative diseases of the brain.
- Fatty fish: they contain high levels of essential fatty acids, especially EPA and DHA. In addition, they are a good source of phosphorus. It keeps cognitive functions active and improves memory.
- Tomato: contains lycopene, antioxidant properties and is good for concentration and memory.
- Avocado: source of Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids. They increase blood flow to the brain, protect it from premature wear and help prevent aging.
Enemies for your brain
We have mentioned what are the best foods for the brain and who can be your allies when it comes to improving the capabilities of this, but it is also important to know what you should avoid so that it can work correctly:
- Avoid exposure to toxic substances such as heavy metals or herbicides.
- Avoid the consumption of oxidizing substances such as alcohol, tobacco, trans fats or refined foods.
- Avoid stressful situations as these increase cortisol hormone and can damage our brain.
- Avoid sedentary lifestyle.
Tips to improve the health and nutrition of your brain
- Keep your brain active through readings, crosswords, language learning …
- Do physical exercise regularly.
- Avoid refined foods and prioritize integrals.
- Include in your diet healthy fatty acids, especially omega-3 and 6.
- Include in your diet whenever you can the best foods for your brain.