In this article we will know the characteristics, benefits and properties of wheat germ oil that can help us take care of our health.
Characteristics of wheat germ oil
Wheat germ oil is a type of vegetable oil. To obtain it, the seed germ must first be separated. Then, by pressure mechanisms the fat is extracted from the wheat grain.
That is, the fat present in the wheat germ. As a result of the extraction, an orange oil with a very characteristic aroma is obtained.
Properties of wheat germ oil
Among the properties of wheat germ oil oil we must highlight its high content of vitamin E. It is the vegetable oil with the highest content in this vitamin, also called Tocopherol . In fact, vitamin E was isolated in 1936 by Gladys Anderson from wheat germ oil. The high vitamin E content gives this oil a great cellular antioxidant power and free anti-radicals.
Wheat germ oil is also high in octacosanol, which is a fatty alcohol found in vegetable waxes.
Another of the properties of wheat germ oil is that it is a rich source of vitamin B6 and folic acid from the complex of vitamin B, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus and many other essential nutrients.
If you’re wondering how wheat germ oil can help you, keep reading!
- maximize oxygen consumption, due to the high presence of octacosanol. Therefore, wheat germ oil is highly recommended for athletes.
- Regulate the nervous system: it is another benefit of wheat germ oil, it is beneficial to lift the mood, as it contains the goodness of omega-3 fatty acids, which help to regulate the nervous system systematically. It provides energy and also greatly reduces stress as it contains vitamin B complex.
- Improves fertility: wheat germ oil for its antioxidant effect protects us against oxidative aggressions and keeps vaginal mucous membranes in good condition. It provides that the vaginal environment and the state of the ovules are the ideal ones to conceive the baby more easily.
- Prevents skin problems: this oil helps take care of our skin, as it prevents skin problems such as psoriasis, eczema and dry skin. You can apply it topically: it will calm and repair your skin.
- Promotes blood sugar level: it is rich in magnesium, therefore, when used regularly, it helps promote healthy blood sugar control, which is especially beneficial for diabetic patients. It helps keep sugar levels under control and, therefore, controls diabetes greatly.
- Combat the accumulation of fat: it is another of the benefits of germ oil. When used regularly, it helps reduce extra body fat. It can be part of any weight loss program, as it gives it remarkable effects.
- Improves overall health: regular consumption of wheat germ oil reduces stress and gives energy. If you want to lead a healthy life, add wheat germ oil to your diet to get all the benefits mentioned above.
Recommendations for use
Given the benefits and properties of wheat germ oil we will know how we can use it:
Its consumption in the raw state is recommended. It is not recommended to cook wheat germ oil, since when exposed to high temperature it would lose all its vitamin E content and its fats would deteriorate, thus losing its benefits and contributing nothing to our body. So it is not recommended to use cooked. It is recommended to consume a tablespoon a day. The best wheat germ oil that can be obtained is virgin oil, which implies that it is cold pressed and not refined, thus achieving the greatest possible properties. Once the original packaging has been opened, it requires cold storage to prevent oxidation.
Usefulness of wheat germ oil
Having a somewhat bitter taste, it is recommended to use it in combination with other food ingredients, such as:
- Dressings ( vinaigrette and condiments).
- Raw recipes or added at the end of cooking.
- Fruit juice.
Wheat germ oil is also used in the field of natural cosmetics, especially in skin-related products, such as massage oils. They improve the elasticity and firmness of the skin.